On Tuesday, the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) meeting focused on Visit Orlando, as part of recent discussions around the usage of Tourist Development Tax (TDT) funds. Orange County government designates TDT funds for specific purposes, including promoting tourism, the Orange County Convention Center, sports stadiums and arenas, performing arts venues, museums and events. The result of the meeting was a successful step forward with our negotiations with Orange County around Visit Orlando and our funding. The BCC voted in favor of moving forward with the recommendations within a proposal brought forward by Orange County Mayor Jerry L Demings. We supported the Mayor's proposal and the BCC decisions that were made. Key items included:
- Total annual reduction to Visit Orlando funding of $15 million annually. Out of the $15 million, $10 million will be paid directly from Visit Orlando for the Sport Incentive Committee fund and $5 million for arts and cultural activities through the Application Review Committee (ARC)
- Appointment of a County Commissioner to the Visit Orlando Board
- Camping World Stadium funding of $400 million
- An increase of Operational Funding for Greater Orlando Sports Commission
- Kia Center (formerly Amway) approved for $226 million
Looking ahead, we'll be negotiating an addendum to our agreement in the coming months, with the final details to be presented before the BCC.
Watch the January 23rd meeting here and find the Visit Orlando section as the 6th item on the agenda.